Degree in Medicine from the University of Navarra (1976).
Doctor of Medicine, University of Salamanca, Specialist in Haematology (1980).
He has participated in 50 national, 5 European and 2 American research projects.
He has conducted more than 35 clinical trials as principal investigator.
Associate Editor of: Blood, Hematologica / Hematology Journal, Advances in Hematology, Critical Reviews in Oncology/ Hematology, Focus on Haematology/Oncology, Medical Oncology, etc.
Journal reviewer: New England Journal of Medicine, Blood, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Leukemia, Experimental Hematology, British Journal of Hematology, Lancet, etc.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Multiple Myeloma
- Minimal residual disease
- Development of new anti-tumor drugs
As an educator
Professor of Hematology (Chair) at the University of Navarra
As a researcher
He has participated in more than 160 papers/communications at national and international conferences.
He has contributed to 120 chapters and monographs. He has also contributed to more than 670 articles in international and 141 national journals.
- Gregorio Marañón National Award in the field of Medicine. 2021
- Recognized with the Academy Bob Pinedo Cancer Care Award 2020
- The Michaeli Award" for his contribution to the knowledge of Myeloma (2018)
- Lilly Foundation Biomedical Research Award (2014)
- King Jaime I Prize for Medical Research (2013)
- Jose Carreras EHA Award, (2012)
- Kyle Life achievement award (2012)
- Award from the National Academy of Medicine of Buenos Aires to the Hematologist Latin America with the greatest impact (1999)
- Health Sciences Foundation Clinical Research Award (2000)
- CEOE Award for Scientific Research in Biomedical Sciences (2001)
- National Oncology Award (2007)
- National Research Award (2007)
- Waldenström Award for Multiple Myeloma (2007)
- Castilla y León Scientific and Technical Research Award (2008)
- Severo Ochoa Biomedical Research Award 2009 ( Madrid, May 2010)
- Cross of Merit from the Ministry of Defense (for his contribution to the Balkan Syndrome)
- Commendation of the Civil Order of Health
- International: Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (USA),
International Myeloma Research Foundation (USA), Leukemia Research Foundation (UK), European Hematology Association.
- National: Genoma España, IDIBAPS, Fundación Española de Hematología, IBIS, Fundación Carreras, etc.
- Industry: International advisory boards of Millennium, Celgene, Novartis, Janssen, Onyx, BMS, MSD.
Latest scientific publications
- Large T cell clones expressing immune checkpoints increase during multiple myeloma evolution and predict treatment resistance Sep 20, 2023 | Magazine: Nature Communications
- Definition and Clinical Significance of the Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance-Like Phenotype in Patients With Monoclonal Gammopathies Mar 17, 2023 | Magazine: Journal of Clinical Oncology