Degree in Biological Sciences in 1989. Complutense University of Madrid.
Master in Statistics in Health Sciences in 1992. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
Doctor in Biological Sciences in 1994. Complutense University of Madrid.
From 1996 to 1999 he was a postdoctoral researcher at the Laboratory of Molecular Biology and Gene Therapy at the University of Bordeaux in France.
From 1999 to 2004, he was a FIS contract researcher at the Research Center of the Hospital 12 de Octubre.
Since 2004, he has been a researcher in the Hepatology Program of the Cima University of Navarra.
Principal Investigator of the Acute Porphyrias Group within the Hepatology Program.
He has actively participated in obtaining more than 28 competitive projects, in 19 of them as principal investigator in national calls and 2 international projects (one of them as PI).
Co-inventor of 4 patents, one of them with the Dutch company UniQure.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Biochemical and molecular characterization of rare metabolic diseases and especially in the pathogenesis and clinic of porphyrias.
- Molecular technology to the therapy of porphyrias with the development and optimization of viral vectors.
As an educator
Professor in doctoral and master's courses, has directed projects for students of the final degree work, master's work and Erasmus program.
He has supervised 4 doctoral theses.
As a researcher
He has participated in more than 75 scientific publications, 56 in the first quartile of his category and of these, 36 as first or last author.
Co-author of 8 book chapters, 2 in English (the last edition of the Handbook of Porphyrin Science) and 6 in Spanish (special mention, participation in the last 4 editions of the textbook of Internal Medicine Farreras 6 Rozman; and in the 2 editions of the textbook Endocrinology by Jara Albarrán.
- En el año 2018 se le concedió el Premio AELMHU a la mejor trayectoria investigadora en enfermedades raras y/o medicamentos huérfanos.
Latest scientific publications
- Hydroxymethylbilane synthase (aka porphobilinogen deaminase): A novel metabolic tumor suppressor gene in hepatocellular carcinoma Oct 3, 2022 | Magazine: Journal of Hepatology
- Mechanistic modelling of enzyme-restoration effects of new recombinant liver-targeted proteins in acute intermittent porphyria Jul 15, 2022 | Magazine: British Journal of Pharmacology