Dr. Bruno Sangro
Head of Hepatology Unit
Internal Medicine Specialist
Area of Expertise: study and treatment of hepatic diseases and hepatic and bile duct tumours
Graduated in Medicine from the Complutense University of Madrid (1983). Doctorate in Medicine by the University of Navarra (1994).
Internal Medicine Specialist(1990).
Director of the Hepatology Unit of the Department of Internal Medicine at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
Principal Investigator of Group 6 and Coordinator of the Hepatic and Digestive Oncology Programme at the Centre for Biomedical Research Network on Liver and Digestive Diseases (CIBERehd).
The translational and clinical research carried out in the last few years has focused on therapeutic innovation in complications of cirrhosis and treatment of primary and secondary hepatic tumours, and very specifically on the development of the multidisciplinary programme for the treatment of liver cancer with innovations in surgical treatment (expanded criteria for liver transplantation or resection in selected patients with portal hypertension), intra-arterial techniques (chemoembolisation and radioembolisation) and systemic treatment (advanced therapies such as biological agents, immunotherapy and gene therapy).
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Study and treatment of hepatic diseases
- Study and treatment of hepatic tumours
- Study and treatment of bile duct tumours
As an educator
- Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Navarra.
As a researcher
- He has co-authored fifteen chapters in books in the field, has published more than 200 articles in national and international journals and has supervised six doctoral theses.
- In September 2019 he has been appointed President of the International Liver Cancer Association (ILCA).
- Member of the Executive Committee of the International Liver Cancer Association (ILCA).
- Founding member and member of the board of directors of the Spanish Society of Gene Therapy.
- Spanish Association for the Study of the Liver.
- European Association for the Study of the Liver.
Latest scientific publications
- Synergistic effects of combined immunotherapy strategies in a model of multifocal hepatocellular carcinoma Apr 5, 2023 | Magazine: Cell Reports. Medicine
- New molecular mechanisms in cholangiocarcinoma: signals triggering interleukin-6 production in tumor cells and KRAS co-opted epigenetic mediators driving metabolic reprogramming May 26, 2022 | Magazine: Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research