Dr. Carmen Berasain Lasarte
Deputy Director and Researcher of the Hepatology Program.
Characterization of the molecular mechanisms involved in the process of hepatocarcinogenesis and identification of diagnostic and therapeutic targets for liver cancer.
Degree in Biological Sciences from the University of Navarra in 1988.
D. in Sciences from the University of Navarra in 1993.
She has done research stays abroad in the laboratory of Dr. Rojkind at the Albert Esintein College of Medicine (New York, US), of Dr. Bréchot in his INSERM unit at the Faculty of Medicine of the Necker Enfants Malade Hospital (Paris, France) and in the laboratory of Dr. Spector at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (New York, US).
From 1997 to 2003 researcher at the Department of Internal Medicine of the University of Navarra. Since 2004 researcher at the Cima University of Navarra.
Since 2011 accreditation as Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Navarra and since 2013 member of the Research Ethics Committee (CEI) of the University of Navarra.
Specialized in the investigation of mechanisms involved in liver regeneration, the process of hepatocarcinogenesis and the identification of hepatoprotective molecules.
Principal Investigator of the Hepatic Damage and Carcinogenesis Research Group within the Hepatology Program.
Her work and research projects have led to the characterization of relevant mechanisms involved in liver regeneration and hepatocarcinogenesis and to the identification of hepatoprotective molecules that have been the subject of patent applications.
- Co-inventor of 6 patents.
- He has participated in numerous research projects, being principal investigator in 8 projects funded by the Ministry of Science and Innovation, Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, Instituto de Salud Carlos III and Government of Navarra.
- Since 2014 he is Associate Editor of the journal Liver International, official journal of the International Association for the Study of the Liver.
- 5 Sexenios of research recognized, last 2014-2019.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in liver regeneration.
- Identification and characterization of hepatoprotective molecules.
- Molecular mechanisms involved in the process of (hepato)carcinogenesis.
- Molecular mechanisms involved in hepatic differentiation-differentiation.
- Mechanisms of gene expression regulation: epigenetics, transcription and splicing.
- Identification of biomarkers (genetic and epigenetic) for tumor diagnosis in liquid biopsy.
As an educator
Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Navarra.
Professor responsible for the core subject "Molecular Pathology" in the 3rd year of the Biochemistry degree.
He has supervised 8 doctoral theses, 3 of which were awarded the Extraordinary Doctorate Prize of the University of Navarra and numerous TFG and TFM.
He has participated in the teaching of doctoral and master courses.
He has collaborated in the writing of 6 books.
As a researcherAuthor of more than 90 publications in high-impact international journals, her articles have received an average of 333 citations/year over the last 5 years (2016-2020), with a total of 4,400 citations as of January 2021
Latest scientific publications
- Prognostic Value of Ultra-Low-Pass Whole-Genome Sequencing of Circulating Tumor DNA in hepatocellular carcinoma under systemic treatment Dec 29, 2023 | Magazine: Clinical Molecular Hepatology
- Identification and experimental validation of druggable epigenetic targets in hepatoblastoma Oct 24, 2023 | Magazine: Journal of Hepatology