Dr. Rubén Pío Osés
Director. Solid Tumors Program
Deputy Director of the Cancer Center of the University of Navarra (CCUN).
Preferential dedication to the identification of diagnostic markers and new therapies for lung cancer.
Degree in Pharmacy from the University of Navarra in 1994. Doctor in Pharmacy from the same university in 1998.
Specialized in lung cancer biology.
He did a postdoctoral stay at the National Cancer Institute (National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, USA).
In 2001 he joined the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and the Cima of the University of Navarra.
Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Navarra.
- He has participated in more than 40 research projects, being principal investigator in 16 of them. Among the projects directed, we can highlight the competitive projects funded by Cancer Research and Prevention Foundation, Australian National Health and Medical Research Council, Ministry of Science and Innovation, Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Government of Navarra and Asociación Española contra el Cáncer (AECC). He has also participated in several research contracts with companies.
- He is co-inventor of 7 patents, two of them licensed.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Identification and validation of new molecular markers for early diagnosis of lung cancer.
- Role of the complement system in tumor progression and metastasis.
- Identification and validation of markers predictive of response to antitumor immunotherapy.
- New therapeutic strategies to potentiate the antitumor immune response.
As an educator
- Professor of Biochemistry.
- Coordinator of the first year of the Medicine degree at the University of Navarra. He is also responsible for the course From the Molecule to the Cell I.
- He has supervised 9 doctoral theses, all of them with the highest qualification. He has supervised 6 master works and numerous undergraduate works.
- He has collaborated in the writing of the textbook Biomedical Cell Biology.
- He has given more than 20 teaching, training or dissemination talks at Universities, Hospitals, Institutes and Cultural Centers.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Congress of Oncology for Students.
As a researcher
- He has published more than 100 scientific articles in international journals.
- He has given more than 25 invited papers at national and international conferences, including the World Conference on Lung Cancer, AACR Annual Meeting, International Conference on Complement Therapeutics and American Thoracic Society Annual Meeting. He has authored more than 100 conference papers.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the I, II and III International Workshop: Integrating Genomics in Cancer Management.
- Evaluator of research projects for several national and international agencies, including ANECA, ACSUCYL, AGAUR, SSPA, Salud de la Junta de Andalucía, Cancer Research UK, Institut National du Cancer, Yorkside Cancer Research and Worldwide Cancer Research.
- Evaluator for more than 45 international scientific journals.
- Algunas de sus patentes han dado lugar a acuerdos de licencia.
- Career Development Award in Translational Lung Cancer Research, concedido por la American Association for Cancer Research - Cancer Research and Prevention Foundation.
- Autor senior del trabajo "A combined PD-1/C5a blockade synergistically protects against lung cancer growth and metastasis" que recibió el VI Premio Prof. Durántez-Fundación LAIR al mejor artículo original en el campo de la inmunología en 2018.
Latest scientific publications
- Plasma fractalkine contributes to systemic myeloid diversity and PD-L1/PD-1 blockade in lung cancer Aug 3, 2023 | Magazine: EMBO Reports
- Design and validation of a tunable inertial microfluidic system for the efficient enrichment of circulating tumor cells in blood Apr 29, 2022 | Magazine: Bioengineering & Translational Medicine