Dr. Ana Mª García Osta
Researcher in the Neurosciences Program.
Preferential dedication to the development of neuroprotective strategies for neurodegenerative diseases, mainly Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.
Degree in Pharmacy from the University of Navarra in 1992. Master in R+D+i of drugs in 1994 and Ph.D. in Pharmacy from the same university in 1999.
She is specialized in the research of molecular mechanisms responsible for synaptic plasticity and neurodegeneration.
He has carried out research stays at Mount Sinai Hospital (New York).
Since 2007 she has been part of the Cima University of Navarra.
She is a principal investigator in the Neurosciences Program of the Cima.
She has participated in more than 10 research projects, being the principal investigator in 7 of them. She has participated in competitive projects funded by: the Ministry of Science and Innovation, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Government of Navarra, and LaCaixa Foundation.
She is the co-inventor of 6 patents.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Characterization of the molecular mechanisms responsible for the progression of neurodegenerative diseases.
- Identification of new therapeutic targets capable of slowing down the development of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.
- Characterization and development of new animal models of neurodegenerative diseases.
As an educator
She is a collaborating professor of Pharmacology at the School of Medicine.
She has supervised four doctoral theses, 2 of which were recognized with the Extraordinary Doctorate Award of the University of Navarra.
She has led more than ten master's and other final projects and more than 200 hours of teaching hours at the university.
Author of 2 book chapters and collaborator in the writing of 2 books.
As a researcher
She has participated in the publication of more than 49 scientific articles in international journals indexed with impact factor; 80% in Q1 and 24 of them with authorship (first or last author and Q1). The total number of citations amounts to 2706, with an average of 276 citations/year over the previous five years.
He has participated in more than 50 communications to national/international congresses.
He accumulates three six-year research periods recognized by ANEP: 1997-2001, 2007-2012, and 2013-2018.
- Member of the Animal Experimentation Ethics Committee (CEEA) of the University of Navarra (2011-present).
- Member of the CIMA animal facility committee (2013-present).
- Member of the board of directors of the Department of Neurosciences of CIMA (2017-present).
- Reviewer of journals in the Neurosciences area such as Neuropsychopharmacology, Brain Communications, Scientific Reports, Acta Neuropahtologica, etc.
- External evaluator of research projects of the Instituto de Salud Carlos III.
- Evaluator of the National Agency of Evaluation and Prospective (ANEP).
- Evaluator of the French National Research Agency (ANR).
- Member of more than ten thesis tribunals.
Latest scientific publications
- Improvement of cognitive function in wild-type and Alzheimer´s disease mouse models by theimmunomodulatory properties of menthol inhalation or depletion of T regulatory cells Apr 27, 2023 | Magazine: Frontiers in Immunology
- PLA2G4E, a candidate gene for resilience in Alzheimer´s disease and a new target for dementia treatment May 5, 2020 | Magazine: Progress in Neurobiology