Codirector of Medical Oncology Department
Medical Oncology Specialist
Codirector of the Lung Cancer Area
Area of Expertise: Study and treatment of lung and prostate cancer
Graduate (1999) and Doctor (2004) in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Navarra Faculty of Medicine,obtaining the Extraordinary Doctorate Award for his doctoral thesis. He is a Medical Oncology Specialist at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra (2004). He completed his training as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, in the Cancer Biology and Genetics Program.
He received a Medical Oncology Certificate in 2012 from the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO).
Since 2015 he has been Co-Director of the Department of Oncology and Director of the Clinic's Department of Medical Oncology.
- Director of laboratory for New Therapeutic Targets at CIMA, with special interest in lung cancer, drug resistance mechanisms and metastasis mechanisms.
- Clinical Investigator – he has participated in more than 15 clinical trials as lead investigator mainly for lung and prostate cancer, and more than 20 trials as co-investigator.
- Member of editorial board for World Journal of Gastroenterology magazine until 2010, reviewer of Cancer Research, Tumor Biology, Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, Chemotherapy magazines.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Study and treatment of lung cancer with special interest in new biological specific target therapies and clinical trials for lung cancer.
- Study of biological mechanisms for drug resistance in lung cancer.
- Study of biological mechanisms that aid metastases in lung cancer.
- Study and treatment of prostate cancer with special interest in clinical trials for new drugs.
As an educator
Associate Professor in the University of Navarra Faculty of Medicine
Director of various Doctoral Theses and Masters projects in Oncology
He has led conferences at the University of Zurich in Switzerland, the Free University of Brussels in Belgium, the Memorial Sloan-Ketering Cancer Center in New York, USA, in the University of San Pablo CEU in Madrid, at the Autonomous University of Madrid, the Autonomous University of Barcelona, the National Centre for Oncological Research (CNIO) in Madrid, amongst others.
As a researcher
He has published more than 80 articles in mainly international indexed scientific magazines, including New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet Oncology, Cancer Research, Clinical Cancer Research, Oncogene, British Journal of Cancer etc.
He has made more than 50 scientific presentations at international oncological conferences
Co-author of a Cellular Biology book and various book chapters on Oncology
Member of the Research Commission of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
Associate member of the ECO Foundation.
President of the Liquid Biopsy Samples Repository Committee of the International Society of Liquid Biopsy.
Researcher at the CIMA University of Navarra where he directs the New Therapeutic Targets laboratory.
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC).
- European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO).
- Spanish Society of Medical Oncology (SEOM).
Latest scientific publications
- Oncogenes in Cancer: Using the Problem as Part of the Solution Nov 18, 2020 | Magazine: Cancers (Basel)
- Id1 and PD-1 Combined Blockade Impairs Tumor Growth and Survival of KRAS-mutant Lung Cancer by Stimulating PD-L1 Expression and Tumor Infiltrating CD8 + T Cells Oct 28, 2020 | Magazine: Cancers