Dr. José Antonio Páramo Fernández
Specialist of Haematology and Haemotherapy Department
Area of expertise: Study and treatment of haemorrhagic problems, thrombotic events and blood clotting
Graduated in Medicine in 1978 from the University of Salamanca. He was a resident in Haematology and Haemotherapy at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra and was awarded his doctorate in 1982. Co-director of the Haematology and Haemotherapy Department at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra (CUN) until November 2020. Professor of Haematology at the Faculty of Medicine.
He has been a Haematology and Haemotherapy specialist since 1982. He carried out his postdoctoral training at the University of Lovaina (1983-1984) and the Centre for Biological Standards and Control in London (1989).
He has played a key role in the Spanish Society of Haematology and the Spanish Society of Haemostasis and Thrombosis. He is also vice-president of the Spanish Society of Haemostasis and Thrombosis and the Spanish Society of Atherosclerosis.
Director of the Haemostasis and Thrombosis Unit at the Clinic and the Haematology Laboratory.
Director of the Vascular Medicine Area at the Clinic.
His area of expertise for patient care concerns hospitalised patients and outpatients with haemorrhagic and thrombotic problems.
- Member of the editorial board of Sangre magazine since 1988.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Revista de Medicina de la Universidad de Navarra since 1992.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Journal Thrombosis and Haemostasis (FI=4,37) since January 2000.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the journal Thrombosis Research (FI=1.32) since January 2001.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Revista Haematologica (FI=2,53) since January 2002.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Cardiovascular Research Journal (FI=5) since 2012.
- Revisor Thombosis and Hemostasis y Thombosis Research.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Anaemia and thrombopenia
- Thrombopenic Purpura and thrombopathy
- Venous and arterial thrombosis
- Atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases
- Use of new antithrombotic drugs
As an educator
- Assistant Professor of Practical Classes at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Navarra since 1980.
- Associate Lecturer in Haematology. Faculty of Medicine. University of Navarra since 1984.
- Assistant Professor of Haematology. Faculty of Medicine. University of Navarra since 1995.
- Lecturer in Clinical Practice II (20 credits). Fourth Year Degree in Medicine since 1996.
- Associate Professor of Haematology. Faculty of Medicine. University of Navarra since 2002.
- He has supervised 11 doctoral theses, all of them with the highest marks and two of them with European mention.
As a researcher
- He has given more than 173 invited lectures, organised and moderated sessions at national and international conferences.
- He has published more than 320 national and international journal articles with impact factor.
- He has published 6 books and 40 chapters in national and international books.
- He has presented more than 470 communications at national and international conferences.
- Since October 2016, he has been President of the Spanish Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
- Spanish Society of Hematology and Hemotherapy since 1982.
- Spanish Group of Thrombosis and Hemostasis (GETH) since 1985.
- Spanish Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis (SETH) since 1985.
- International Society on Thrombosis and Hemostasis (ISTH) since 1990.
- International Society of Fibrinolysis (ISFT) since 1992.
- Mediterranean League against Thromboembolic Disease.
- Scientific Committee of the Spanish Society of Arteriosclerosis (SEA) 2010-2011.
Latest scientific publications
- Lipocalin-2 and Calprotectin Potential Prognosis Biomarkers in Peripheral Arterial Disease Mar 16, 2022 | Magazine: European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
- The Role of Circulating Biomarkers in Peripheral Arterial Disease Mar 30, 2021 | Magazine: International Journal of Molecular Sciences